Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 19:44:14 +0000

Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:26:55 AM, you wrote:

Am 20.01.2020 um 11:08 schrieb Peter Toye:

Re: Looking for help in configuring LilyDev in VirtualBox

Hmm...weird. Could you please check if the virtual box modules are loaded
with
lsmod | grep vbox
Which VirtualBox version do you use? What is you host OS?

lsmod gives: vboxguest        294912        0
There should be some more kernel modules running.
Please try reinstalling the guest additions at first with:
sudo apt install --reinstall virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-x11
virtualbox-guest-utils

That didn't work: got a message:

E: Command line option 'r' [from -reinstall] is not understood in combination
with the other options.
Seems you accidentally omitted one dash (should be --reinstall, not -reinstall)

Oops - the problems of not being able to do cut-and-paste between machines. On
my terminal the two '-'s merged into one.

That command produced a load of output. Maybe I should have redirected it to a
file.

Then reboot your virtual machine. If that does not work, please
post the output of

ps aux | grep '/usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard'

This time after the reboot I got the same result. No sharing of clipboard, no
more processes. Tried closing VBox and restarting it, but same result.

There's one slight oddity: often (but not always) when booting the LilyDev
guest I get an error message - a bit too long to copy the text so here's a
screenshot:

I don't know if it's significant. It doesn't change the clipboard behaviour.

Without rebooting (there didn't seem much point) I got:

dev        701        0.0        0.0        11108        932        pts/0
 S+        11:10        0:00 grep /usr/bin/VBoxClient --clipboard

which I guess is the process that I just ran.

so that we can see if the shared clipboard service is running

Best regards,
Michael

All the best,

Peter

It's possible that my hamfisted attempts to install LilyDev as a guest without
all the instructions has screwed something up. I could start again tomorrow
using the instructions you sent me and see if it makes any difference.

Best regards,

Peter