Re: GUILE 2.2 progress

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GUILE 2.2 progress
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 11:12:03 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> On 25/01/2020 14:26, David Kastrup wrote:
>> 16.04 is all very nice, but relying on non-updated legacy systems for
>> proscribing the dependencies of a hot-of-the-presses release is not
>> providing much of value.
>
> Talking of which ... should I (we) remove the instructions about
> specific Distributions in the CG that are now 'non-updated legacy
> systems'?
>
> I.e.
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor-big-page.html#requirements-for-compiling-lilypond
>
> I did most of these as a 'help' for other possible contributors (I had
> more time to experiment with VMs and other non-familiar (to me)
> distributions).

Good question.  There is the user class of people without admin and
system rights (either on computer or for making the respective
administrative decisions) who may still choose to compile LilyPond.  So
there is a point with lagging somewhat before removing outdated
instructions.  The question is just how much.  And of course, that
should not preclude making the instructions useful for current systems.