Re: Doc: Corrected doc string for ly:dimension? (issue 547470049 by addr

From: dak
Subject: Re: Doc: Corrected doc string for ly:dimension? (issue 547470049 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 03:49:32 -0800

On 2020/01/26 10:45:11, thomasmorley651 wrote:
> I don't see any difference to checking for a number either. Thus
"distinguish"
> feels strange.

There was a time when music function predicates determined syntactic
decisions based on what function they pointed to rather than what they
evaluated to.  So people were confused why their user-defined functions,
say, number-or-string? , did not admit either numbers or strings
syntactically.

ly:dimension? never made it to special status in the parser.  In olden
times that would mean that when using it as a music function argument,
the respective number could not be entered as a plain number but would
always have to be preceded with # .  This kind of predicate aliasing
serves almost no point any more (markup? and markup-list? in markups are
still treated in that manner, though).

https://codereview.appspot.com/547470049/