Re: UTF-8 and default locale

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and default locale
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 18:35:15 +0100

> Hey David,
>
> before we go into formal review, could you have a look at
>
> https://github.com/hanwen/lilypond/commit/3402c61aa0d6f36b8dce984947d61ba01b0a6350
>
> The commits fix Unicode lyrics,  but maybe we want to change the
> setlocale() calls in main instead.

The patch annoys me because of the extra string copy, but then that's
the same as previously and no obvious way to avoid it.  It's more a
C/C++ thing than a Guile one.

I am not sure about the setlocale calls in main: in principle, an
application should talk to the console in the local locale independent
from what it does on file-I/O.  In practice, I think it would be a long
haul to get LilyPond to work in non-UTF8 console locales.