Re: Doc: Correct and extend infos about LilyDev setup (issue 561360043 b

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Doc: Correct and extend infos about LilyDev setup (issue 561360043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 15:08:19 +0100

Il giorno gio 30 gen 2020 alle ore 12:18 <address@hidden>
ha scritto:

> On 2020/01/29 15:36:59, fedelogy wrote:
> > LGTM
> >
> > Just two thoughts:
> >
> > 1. I'm not sure why you suggest how to set the root password, as the
> dev user
> > can get admin privileges via sudo.
>
> Well, I just thought that it would be bad idea for >any< Linux system
> to leave the root password unsetted. Maybe the amount of damage that
> can occur to the host system through the virtualization barrier is
> small,
> but at least it minimizes the risk of scrambling your guest system by
> accident. If you use 'sudo', you have to think about what you type, at
> least.
> AFAIK, Ubuntu disables the root account by default, for such reasons.
> But you could argue that the docs suggest to log in as 'dev', anyway,
> and if I do want to log in as root, it does not matter if I have to use
> a password or none.
> What do you think about disabling the root account?

I see that it's possible to log in as root user without any password _even
in the virtual machine_. Not good.
I used the --password="" in the Makefile to avoid the step to set the
password when starting the container with systemd-nspawn.

In mkosi manual I read:

--password=

> : Set the password of the root user. By default the root account is
> locked. If this option is not used but a file mkosi.rootpw exists in the
> local directory the root password is automatically read from it.

So we may remove the --password option to keep the root account disabled
and use the mkosi.rootpw to set the password.
I will test this and hopefully include it in LilyDev v3.