Re: Inline assembler fallback for _FPU_SETCW() missing in MINGW librarie

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Inline assembler fallback for _FPU_SETCW() missing in MINGW libraries (issue 577450043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 14:31:27 +0100

ArnoldTheresius <address@hidden> writes:

> trueroad wrote
>> Hello Arnold.
>> Thank you for your patch.
>>
>> If I understand correctly, we only need check the definitions of
>> `__x86__` and `__i386__` check.
>>
>> In x86_64 environment, neither `__x86__` nor `__i386__` are defined.
>>
>> ```
>> $ echo | x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -dM -E - | grep "__x86__"
>>
>> $ echo | x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -dM -E - | grep "__i386__"
>>
>> $ echo | i686-w64-mingw32-gcc -dM -E - | grep "__x86__"
>>
>> $ echo | i686-w64-mingw32-gcc -dM -E - | grep "__i386__"
>> #define __i386__ 1
>>
>> $
>> ```
>>
>> Therefore, `defined (__code_model_32__)`  is not necessary.
>>
>> If `__SSE2_MATH__` is defined, it only indicates that main.cc is
>> compiled with SSE2 math enabled.
>> Shared libraries such as libguile may still use x86 FPU.
>> If the floating point calculation inside GUILE uses x86 FPU, we need to
>> set the precision even if C++ uses SSE2.
>>
>> Therefore, `defined (__SSE2_MATH__)`  is not necessary.
>>
>> Furthermore, if the floating-point operations of all modules use SSE2,
>> setting the x86 FPU precision has no effect because it is not used.
>> In other words, there is no problem even if the precision is set on a
>> platform that does not need to set.
>>
>> Therefore, environment definitions such as `defined (__MINGW32__)`  is
>> not necessary.
>>

>> https://codereview.appspot.com/577450043/
>
> Thank you for the clear answer.
>
> Therfore, do it as suggested [move asm() call closer to _FPU_SETCW() call]
>
> ArnoldTheresius.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Dev-f88644.html

None of the following GCC options would help?

       The following options control compiler behavior regarding
       floating-point arithmetic.  These options trade off between speed
       and correctness.  All must be specifically enabled.

       -ffloat-store
           Do not store floating-point variables in registers, and
           inhibit other options that might change whether a floating-
           point value is taken from a register or memory.

           This option prevents undesirable excess precision on machines
           such as the 68000 where the floating registers (of the 68881)
           keep more precision than a "double" is supposed to have.
           Similarly for the x86 architecture.  For most programs, the
           excess precision does only good, but a few programs rely on
           the precise definition of IEEE floating point.  Use
           -ffloat-store for such programs, after modifying them to store
           all pertinent intermediate computations into variables.

       -fexcess-precision=style
           This option allows further control over excess precision on
           machines where floating-point operations occur in a format
           with more precision or range than the IEEE standard and
           interchange floating-point types.  By default,
           -fexcess-precision=fast is in effect; this means that
           operations may be carried out in a wider precision than the
           types specified in the source if that would result in faster
           code, and it is unpredictable when rounding to the types
           specified in the source code takes place.  When compiling C,
           if -fexcess-precision=standard is specified then excess
           precision follows the rules specified in ISO C99; in
           particular, both casts and assignments cause values to be
           rounded to their semantic types (whereas -ffloat-store only
           affects assignments).  This option is enabled by default for C
           if a strict conformance option such as -std=c99 is used.
           -ffast-math enables -fexcess-precision=fast by default
           regardless of whether a strict conformance option is used.

           -fexcess-precision=standard is not implemented for languages
           other than C.  On the x86, it has no effect if -mfpmath=sse or
           -mfpmath=sse+387 is specified; in the former case, IEEE
           semantics apply without excess precision, and in the latter,
           rounding is unpredictable.

       -ffast-math
           Sets the options -fno-math-errno, -funsafe-math-optimizations,
           -ffinite-math-only, -fno-rounding-math, -fno-signaling-nans,
           -fcx-limited-range and -fexcess-precision=fast.

           This option causes the preprocessor macro "__FAST_MATH__" to
           be defined.

           This option is not turned on by any -O option besides -Ofast
           since it can result in incorrect output for programs that
           depend on an exact implementation of IEEE or ISO
           rules/specifications for math functions. It may, however,
           yield faster code for programs that do not require the
           guarantees of these specifications.