Re: Accidentals' font

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Accidentals' font
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 11:07:57 +0200

Am Freitag, den 10.07.2020, 10:34 +0200 schrieb Jean-Julien Fleck:
> Hello Urs,
>
> Le ven. 10 juil. 2020 à 09:03, Urs Liska <lists@openlilylib.org> a
> écrit :
> >
> > But I'd like to repeat that the fonts created by Abraham (including
> >
> > Gonville) are at least partially available as free fonts, and they
> >
> > already *can* be used in a regular LilyPond installation without
> > any
> >
> > hassles.
> >

> > All you need to do is copy (or better link) the font files in the
> > fonts
> >
> > directory (Frescobaldi even offers a nice interface for handling
> > that
> >
> > for arbitrary new LilyPond installations) and add some code to the
> >
> > paper block of your document.
> >
> > If you use openLilyLib this is as easy as \useNotationFont
> > Gonville.
> >
> > The notation-fonts package even provides (optional) default
> > stylesheets
> >
> > for all supported fonts (to provide a good starting point regarding
> >
> > e.g. line thicknesses).
>
> Could you please give us a link that explains how to do that
> installation ?
>

> I've been searching (a bit) ever since the page
> https://github.com/OpenLilyPondFonts appeared in this thread but
> couldn't find a tutorial to explain step by step what to do. I would
> have expected that such an explanation to be placed in the README.md
> file at the top of each font repository, at least pointing to a place
> explaining the generic way to do it but I couldn't find any.
>
> Is there such a step-by-step tutorial and where can I find it ?

Unfortunately not comprehensively.
There's  https://github.com/openlilylib/oll-core/wikiwhich explains how
to obtain openLilyLib
  https://github.com/openlilylib/notation-fonts/gives a short overview
on how the notation-fonts package is used.

https://github.com/openlilylib/notation-fonts/tree/master/usage-examples/fontsincludes
several usage examples (along with compiled PDF files).
I'm not sure where installing additional fonts in LilyPond is
explained, but in a nutshell: you have to identify
the  /usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/directory within a given
LilyPond installation, and drop the OTF and SVG font files in the
corresponding subdirectory (.woff files go into SVG).Best practice for
this is storing all your fonts in one central location and place links
into the LilyPond directory.
If you use a current Frescobaldi the tool Tools=>Document fonts
provides a convenient interface for manging fonts (installation and
creating the input code).
HTH
Urs