Re: PATCHES - Countdown for July 28th

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: PATCHES - Countdown for July 28th
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 09:58:06 +0200

Le 28/07/2020 à 09:50, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
Am Dienstag, den 28.07.2020, 09:38 +0200 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
!191 Use URW fonts instead of TeX Gyre as the default - Daniel
Benjamin Miller
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/191

which is itself waiting for the release of 2.21.4, but Phil has issues
with GUB. We could of course merge these to master (as I consider
release/unstable in freeze for what will become the release), in the
hope that there are no unforeseen events that require another merge
from master to release/unstable...
In that case, we could do an interactive rebase
That would destructively rewrite the commit history. For master, this
is bad because it's the base of all development - getting the old
commits backed out of all other branches will be a nightmare.
No, of course, master must never be rewritten.
Rewriting
release/unstable is even worse because GUB can't deal with force pushes
and just refuses to do anything (at least in my experiments).
Moreover both branches are mirrored to Savannah which doesn't support
force-pushing, so I'd have to remove the branch(es) and push the new
version(s) - not my favorite type of work.
Okay, that's what I meant, I wasn't aware of the GUB and Savannah restrictions.
or a cherry-picking
In this case we'll end up with two instances of the same commit because
we'll merge release/unstable to master afterwards. If nothing else
helps, that's probably the least bad option but still not my favorite.

My hope is that we finally get that release out, then we can proceed as
usual.
Agreed.

Thanks,
Jean