Re: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 11:09:23 -0400

Hi Martin,

>> If there were an open-source version of this, I think it would make huge
>> inroads in the music education field.
> Maybe a bit contentious of mine, but why would an open-source license help in
> its success?

Because we (the community) could offer a turn-key, no-cost [up front, anyway!]
installation for any college, university, or composition teacher to create
great-looking music with their students.

More to the point: I’m a Lilypond power-user, and I don’t currently suggest
Lilypond for any of my college or private students. If there were a free,
web-accessible, "code-free" GUI for Lilypond, I would 100% recommend it to all
my students. I would also immediately suggest it as the de facto standard for
all the colleges where I am on faculty. Ergo: an open-source license would
IMMEDIATELY help in its success. QED  ;)

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info