Re: How to start my contribution for Lilypond

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: How to start my contribution for Lilypond
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 17:00:52 +0000

On 12/11/20, 6:55 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of wyanshan"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+carl.d.sorensen+digest=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
wyanshan@163.com> wrote:

    Hi, I am from China Beijing. I think I can give much contributions for user
especially Chinese users. Because,

    1. I have learned a little programming techniques before, which make me
easy to start programming with Lilypond.
    2. I played guitar with my free time, which makes me feel easy to find
text input bugs and problems, and even get some ideas of
    Guitar music display .
    3. I am from China. You know Chinese people use Jianpu (for example, 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 I instead of stave. They also use tabs) to write music. I know what I
need.

    So, would you pls tell me how start with my macOS Catalina? Much thanks.

Hi, and welcome to LilyPond.

If you want to *use* LilyPond, you can either build your own either natively or
using MacPorts:

https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-07/msg00219.html

or you can download a prebuilt Mac application bundle:

https://bintray.com/marnen/lilypond-darwin-64

or you can use pre-build MacPorts bundles as found in various posts on the
lilypond-user archives

If you want to build the latest version and/or make changes, you will need to
either build your own version as before,

or use the mac application building code from Marnen:

https://gitlab.com/marnen/lilypond-mac-builder

or use a virtual machine or docker container:

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/contributor-big-page.html#lilydev

If you want to build using MacPorts, Hans Åberg is a likely source of help.
See the lilypond-user archive link above.

I hope this has been helpful.

Carl