Re: state of the ’Pond for earnest tadpoles

From: James
Subject: Re: state of the ’Pond for earnest tadpoles
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 10:07:24 +0000

Hello

On 02/01/2021 16:58, Thomas Morley wrote:
Am Sa., 2. Jan. 2021 um 14:41 Uhr schrieb James <pkx166h@posteo.net>:

On 02/01/2021 12:20, Thomas Morley wrote:
A full `make doc` takes hours for me, even if invoked with `make doc
-j5 CPU_COUNT=5`
Thus I hardly do so, but use the CG-documented methods:
Hours?

Really?

Perhaps 'an hour' if you were using some very, very old CPU - but even
using a single CPU on an 'old' i5 Intel system a full make doc for me
took less than 50 mins. That last time it took longer than an hour was
when I had an old (8+ years ago) iMac running make doc in a linux VM.

James

time make doc -j5 CPU_COUNT=5
->
real    77m53,168s
user    204m51,501s
sys    28m57,342s

Ok, hours was not exactly correct, but significant more than one hour

Cheers,
   Harm

I don't mean to flog this dead horse, but I was curious. I did a make doc with one cpu on my laptop (it has an i7 7700HQ CPU - circa 2017) and while I don't have the exact numbers to hand, as I am currently at work, it was something like real: 45m user:55m (cannot recall sys values), my desktop before that was from 2013 (i5 something) and I was getting sub hour make doc times even then but using 3 CPUs.

So you having those timings while using a -j5 option ... wow!

I am obviously inhabiting some technological bubble that I wasn't aware I was in.

:D

James