Re: LilyPond 2.22.0 released!

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.22.0 released!
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 10:34:17 +0100

Am Montag, dem 11.01.2021 um 13:35 +0000 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> We are proud to announce the release of GNU LilyPond 2.22.0. LilyPond
> is a music engraving program devoted to producing the highest-quality
> sheet music possible. It brings the aesthetics of traditionally
> engraved music to computer printouts.
>
> This version includes improvements and fixes since the branching of
> the previous stable release in August 2017 (even though the final
> 2.20.0 was only released in March 2020). A list of added features and
> other user-visible changes can be found at
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/changes/
> Behind the scenes, this release switches to Python 3 and includes a
> number of performance improvements that should be noticeable for
> larger scores.

This new stable version of LilyPond was uploaded to Arch Linux at the
beginning of this week (not by me, but I was in contact with the
package maintainer) and I wanted to share a cool advancement:
https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/archlinux/community/lilypond/lilypond-2.22.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.html
This infrastructure built the package twice and they were identical at
the binary level!

Even better, every user of Arch Linux can now verify that the
downloaded package was exactly produced by the claimed sources:
 $ repro /var/cache/pacman/pkg/lilypond-2.22.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
[...]
==> Comparing hashes...
==> Package is reproducible!

(This will first download the exact same set of packages installed
during build of the package, around 500 MB. Then it will build LilyPond
according to the uploaded PKGBUILD and compare the result.)

tl;dr: Thanks Werner for figuring out the fix to make the font
generation reproducible!

Cheers
Jonas