Re: Parsed object should be dead

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Parsed object should be dead
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 21:05:32 +0100

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 7:56 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:

> Am Samstag, dem 06.02.2021 um 13:33 -0500 schrieb Dan Eble:
> > Did something change in the past couple of weeks to make "Parsed
> > object should be dead" messages more likely?  Now that I've turned
> > from documentation back to development, they seem to be getting in my
> > way much more than they used to.
>

> and now warns if any object is leaked. Before only one object was
> reported per smob type and it was basically luck if that was ignored
> because of the session or reported as "should be dead". The problem is
> tracked at https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6079 and there
> Han-Wen found that objects are reported this way if the first file of a
> forked process contains variables. My understanding is that this issue
> exists since the introduction of sessions, the only thing that changed
> is that it now gets properly reported.

Jonas is correct. I have a prototype of how I want to fix this at

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/622

this needs few hours more of dedicated attention.

Not sure if I'll get to it this weekend though: we have  a new family
member who needs some attention :-)

[image: PXL_20210206_184457047.jpg]

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwenn@gmail.com - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen