Re: overfull lines in IR

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: overfull lines in IR
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 19:53:07 +0100 (CET)

> Right now, some overlong lines are auto-generated in the Internals
> Reference.  As an example, look at the entry for `KievanStaff`,
> which contains the following.
>
>   • Set translator property autoAccidentals to:
>
>     '(Staff #<procedure #f (context pitch barnum measurepos)>
>             #<procedure neo-modern-accidental-rule (context pitch barnum
> measurepos)>)
>
> In the file `engraver-init.ly` you can find the following code,
> which is what the IR documents:
>
>   autoAccidentals = #`(Staff ,(make-accidental-rule 'same-octave 0)
>                              ,neo-modern-accidental-rule)
>
> Showing this `#<procedure...>` stuff doesn't make much sense to me –
> in particular, having the function arguments appears to be useless.
>
> Can a Scheme guru improve this, replacing the current IR output with
> something that resembles the code in `engraver-init.ly`?

Another bad example is

  • Set translator property ottavationMarkups to:

    '((4 . "29")
      (3 . "22")
      (2 . "15")
      (1 . "8")
      (-1 . "8")

in the documentation, while the code in `ly/engraver-init.ly` is
simply

  ottavationMarkups = #ottavation-numbers

It seems to me that during the creation of the documentation,
expansion of the property value should be prevented.

Can this be done?

    Werner