Re: running `make grand-replace`

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: running `make grand-replace`
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 17:58:29 +0100

Am Donnerstag, dem 18.02.2021 um 17:41 +0100 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> > > We should run `make grand-replace` to update all copyright years.
> > > Since this is a completely mechanical thing to do, I suggest to
> > > submit the MR, wait until a build was successful, then
> > > immediately
> > > merging and committing it, bypassing the normal reviewing cycle.
> > > This should minimize the hassles with additional rebasing of
> > > future
> > > MRs.
> > >
> > > Objections?
> >
> > Sounds good.
>
> OK, done.
>
> > On a related note, I think I'll also bump the years of user-visible
> > messages in stable/2.22 to say 2021 instead of 2020.  I forgot this
> > for 2.22.0, but we can have it for a potential bugfix release.
> > Does this make sense?
>
> Yes, it does.  However, the `grand-replace.py` script updates *all*
> occurrences of copyright strings, contrary to the gnulib script
> `update-copyright`, which only updates the first one.  It is thus
> possible that this problem is gone.

I don't get what you're saying here, sorry. To be clear, I do *not*
plan to run grand-replace.py on the stable branch. Instead I'll "just"
update the few user-facing strings, in lily/main.cc:273 and scripts/*.

> Of course, the translation teams should now handle the `.po` files in
> due course to complete the copyright issue update.

The only translatable string with years is in scripts/musicxml2ly.py,
and I think we should change that similar to all other instances that
have a %s placeholder in the translatable string.

Jonas