Re: Test reader speed of Guile 3.0.6

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Test reader speed of Guile 3.0.6
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 17:02:00 +0100

Am Sa., 20. März 2021 um 13:47 Uhr schrieb Knut Petersen
<Knut_Petersen@t-online.de>:

> > I wonder what the Carver MSDM score would look like. Searching the
> > archives, it's seemingly become an informal standard for large-project
> > stress tests.
>
> Carver MDSM compiled with guile master and lilypond master: 19.7 seconds
> Carver MDSM compiled with guile 1.8 + lilypond master: 14.6 seconds
> For the Carver MDSM we see a performance penalty of only about 35% for guile
> master.
>

> BTW: There are a few warnings with guile master that need to be investigated:
>
> GNU LilyPond 2.23.1
> WARNING: (scm ps-to-png): imported module (lily) overrides core binding `_'
[...]

I already wrote about it in this thread ;)

More verbose:
Guile-3 changed the underscore `_' to a syntax keyword.
LilyPond (and others) currently use `_' as shortcut for `gettext'.
Guile-3 now proposes `G_' for gettext.

This change is unfortunate, imho: we need to change all occurrences of
`_' to `G_' ,likely `_i' as well...

Cheers,
  Harm