Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 22:19:24 +0200 (CEST)

>> It is very unfortunate that more recent Guile versions cause such a
>> serious deterioration for LilyPond.  Maybe it makes sense for the
>> foreseeable future to stay with the status quo, this is, using
>> Guile 1.8 as much as possible,
>
> For reference: Ubuntu 16.04, the longest supported version to have a
> package for Guile 1.8, will go EOL on April 30; Debian Jessie
> already is dead since June 2020.

Well, Guile 1.8.x served us surprisingly well in the last years.  It
still has a maintainer, and I'm not aware of serious bugs that are
showstoppers for LilyPond.

>> and offering support for 2.x (or 3.x) for platforms where version
>> 1.8 can't be used.
>
> The problem I see is that whatever is part of the official binaries
> will get the most attention, or we risk giving users a configuration
> that developers don't test regularly.  Which means the other version
> simply won't matter and carry on their own bugs.

But we already have this situation: Almost all developers use a
Unix-like OS and can be thus served with Guile 1.8.x!  Are there
actually LilyPond developers who work natively with Windows or MacOS?
With 'natively' I mean using a binary specifically compiled for that
platform and not a virtual box.

    Werner