Timing problem for parallel make info ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Timing problem for parallel make info ?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 00:13:13 +0200

Hi,

regarding my previous complaint of Info no longer containing images: it
actually happens that only _some_ images are missing (among them the
very first in the notation manual which triggered my reaction) and
replaced with [[image of music]].  In the info file, there really is
[[image of music]] and nothing else at this location: it is not the Alt
text (when there is an actual image in the Info file, there is a
sequence of control characters and other stuff invoking the image file
including alt text), in the _same_ info file.

One explanation would be that the process that replaces missing images
with the alt text (likely a Texinfo processing command itself) is
running in parallel with the images arriving.

I've generated stuff using

CPU_COUNT=9 make -j9 info

and, well, non-parallel documentation generation would be really
painful.  I have no idea whether the same might happen in HTML.  Here is
one such info page (screen shot):

PNG image

You see the stray [[image of music]] and some weird artifacts.  Hardly
surprising I am currently entering percussion for use in a rhythm
machine, and am not good at reading percussion scores.