Re: Cairo

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Cairo
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 13:13:20 +0200

Hi Lukas,
This time around, I could get it to compile. :-)

Thanks for testing

After testing it against a bunch of my recent everyday LilyPond documents: For
most of the files, it seems to work perfectly. (In Okular, I seem to notice
very subtle differences in line widths, but those may be rendering artifacts.)

The same is true for glyphs ... I have to investigate if there is a minor
ghostscript or cairo or poppler (=previewer) problem

Also, in most cases, the Cairo-generated pdf is much smaller than the original.
This seems most promising and not far from production quality!

probably you did not use \pointAndClickOff ;-) At least the code of
ly:cairo-draw-round-box in my patch needs optimizations and can be tuned to
generate much smaller pdf code.

Noticable defects:

- There's no support for colors yet, right?

Coloring was only partially implemented and disabled, it works in the attached
patch that can be applied on top of the V2 patch. The attached patch also
implements rotation and supports transparent colors. prglprob.ly tests those
features.

- \markup \scale ... is ignored. Is this a fundamental limitation, or is this "just
not done yet"?

All missing features are "not done yet", I do not expect fundamental problems

Knut