Re: [RFC] Add set of scripts to build static binaries on Linux

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Re: [RFC] Add set of scripts to build static binaries on Linux
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 15:33:01 +0200

Am 05.08.2021 um 21:51 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
LilyPond development:
I just posted the first version of completely rewritten scripts to
build static binaries for LilyPond:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/864
Hi Jonas,
thank you very much for your work! IMHO this is going to be a much
better maintainable way of producing binaries than GUB was.
After some quirks I succeeded in building a package from a tarball
created with `make dist` from
af931c4b1e8f971e6be994a16aa70c0b53c7fb43

The resulting binary seems to work fine.

My build environment was Ubuntu 18.04 with gcc 7.5.0.

The problems I encountered:
1. Building 'fontconfig' failed due to missing 'gperf' on my system.
This seems to be an error in the fontconfig build system, though,
because 'configure'
succeeded. It should check for presence of 'gperf', if it is needed, right?

2. The 'meson' package that comes with Ubuntu 18.04 is fairly old, so it
did fail
with 'meson: error: unrecognized arguments: --auto-features=disabled'.
This option was added in 0.47.0:
https://mesonbuild.com/Release-notes-for-0-47-0.html#new-type-of-build-option-for-features
I could fix this by installing a current version from PyPI.

Some questions:
1. Is it a deliberate decision to force the usage of Guile 2.2 or
do you plan to make Guile 1.8 builds available, too?

2. Would it be possible to avoid rebuilds of dependencies already built, if
the build process is interrupted?

Thanks,
Michael