Re: '#:optional' in Scheme function documentation looks weird

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: '#:optional' in Scheme function documentation looks weird
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 08:55:53 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> In `notation.pdf`, section 'A.23, Scheme functions', the function
> header
>
>   (define-safe-public (check-context-path path #:optional location)
>
> gets currently translated to
>
>   check-context-path path . lambda*:G59
>
> which looks weird.  David, in case this is unavoidable (I remember
> faintly that you've mentioned something along this direction), can you
> provide an explanatory text that I could add to the beginning of A.23?

How many of those do we have?  One could redefine them manually, giving

check-context-path path . optional-location

or similar.  It's also conveivable that define-safe-public could funnel
off the argument list into the documentation string before it gets
replaced: I remember doing something like that for markup commands since
Guile-2.x did not retain the argument lists.  I consider it pretty
likely that the current code would cease working in Guile-2.x anyway, so
that may be the course forward.