Re: GUB / ghostscript

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: GUB / ghostscript
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 13:14:48 +0200

Am Mittwoch, dem 11.08.2021 um 08:32 +0200 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 12:23 PM Knut Petersen <knupero@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > is there any reason that we still use very ancient versions of ghostscript
> > for our installers prepared via GUB?
>
> in gub, there is a comment.
>
>   # ***FIXME*** Ghostscript 9.20 for freebsd-x86 raises seg fault.
>
> at some point, Ghostscript moved from the GPL to the AGPL license, but
> I can't discover the exact version. AFAICT, 9.20 is still available
> under GPL though.

No, 9.20 is AGPL. According to the documentation, the switch happened
with version 9.07 in 2013:
https://www.ghostscript.com/doc/9.54.0/History9.htm#Version9.07

As to why GUB still has 9.20, the comment pointed to by Han-Wen is
probably one of the reasons (even though we're not producing freebsd-
x86 anymore because it was broken anyway). Generally speaking, cross-
compilation sucks and maybe nobody wanted to invest time upgrading to
newer versions and writing patches to make it compile and work...

Jonas