lilypond x64 and arm64 for macOS users in homebrew

From: Jefferson Felix
Subject: lilypond x64 and arm64 for macOS users in homebrew
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 18:34:27 -0300

Dear developers,

We have been working the last few days on homemade formulas for TeXLive (
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/83738) and Lilypond (
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull / 85024) . The Lilypond
formula relies on the TeXLive formula to build, which is practically ready
to be merged.

With that, Lilypond 2.22 will have binary distributions for macOS Catalina
or higher, with x86_64 (Intel) or arm64 (M1) processors, available with
command `brew install lilypond`.

The problem is that homebrew core maintainers do not agree to use the old
and obsolete Guile 1.8 to build and run Lilypond, so the version we are
using in the formula is 2.2 (which exists in homebrew).

I know guile 2 is not officially supported by Lilypond, but we did a lot of
testing and compiled a lot of scores, with no errors. I just noticed that
compilation time is a little slow with Guile 2.

Therefore, I would like your opinion if we can continue with Guile 2, even
if this homebrew distribution is not an official distribution, or if you
could demonstrate, with examples, known issues in compiling sheet music
with Guile 2.

Thanks!

--
---