Re: Lilypond is now on Homebrew for macOS Mojave or higher (Intel or M1)

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Lilypond is now on Homebrew for macOS Mojave or higher (Intel or M1)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:53:27 +0200

Folks,

Am 05.10.21 um 14:39 schrieb Jefferson Felix:
No problem, I was just pointing out the reasons why Guile 1.8.8 was not approved by the homebrew core. I even believe this will help advance Guile 2 compatibility, and certainly the Lilypond development community will pick up on any bugs.

> To follow up on Jeans remarks: Maybe (if it's not already the case) it would be a good idea if your LilyPond version would show a message regarding Guile 2 on startup

We did something similar when we build TeXLive for homebrew, showing a message that it's a Homebrew distribution (something like TeXLive 2021/Homebrew). But TeXLive has a way to do this without touching the source code. I'm going to check Lilypond's build documentation if it's possible to do something like this.

Would it be considered reasonable to hard-wire a special startup message in LilyPond proper if it is being built with Guile2 (or rather: detects guile-2 on startup)?

The new Homebrew build uses guile2, and I suggested they turn the startup message

GNU LilyPond 2.22.0

into something like

GNU LilyPond 2.22.0 (Guile 2 build)

to aid debugging, and if I understand Jefferson correctly, they do not want to touch the source code themselves.

Lukas