Re: Any ideas what is happening here?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Any ideas what is happening here?
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 15:57:13 +0100

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>> Dan Eble <nine.fierce.ballads@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Using \tuplet 1/1 instead of \volta 1 causes the same problem.
>>>
>>> Nesting the \set within <<>> or {} makes the problem go away.  Does
>>> that serve as a work-around in your use case?
>>
>> There is an abundance of << >> (due to tags being in play) already.  My
>> problematic code uses utility functions using ly:context-output-def; the
>> "minimal example" just uses some similar elements until something
>> strange appears, but the strangeness is not really in any remotely
>> recognisable way related to the problem I am seeing.
>>
>> So I cannot really "reduce to a minimal example" sensibly until
>> ly:context-output-def has made it upstream which will be in a few days.
>
> To wit: I am using skipTypesetting in connection with some counter
> juggling in \applyContext to split a MIDI into pieces at places
> indicated in the score.  One start of a piece is in a \repeat volta in
> the first volta.  There is \articulate (likely not involved) and
> \unfoldRepeats .  The respective \applyContext call in the repeat body
> is guarded by \volta 1 (which is not really according to the examples in
> the documentation but matches the doc string of \volta itself) but the
> piece still gets split in both repeats.  The minimal examples I tried to
> construct under simpler circumstances all work as written for
> introducing material constrained to one volta (good work, by the way).
>
> The workaround is obviously a copy&paste job hand-expanding that
> particular repeat volta.  That would mess with the bar numbers, but
> currently we don't have a Bar_number_performer that would convey the
> actual bar numbers into MIDI so right now that difference is
> academical.

unfold-repeats-fully works as the core of the workaround for now (I
don't use \relative, this being mainly a drum score and the timpani
already being at an octave easy to write for, so I don't encounter the
main problem with using unfold-repeats-fully).

I'll try to get out a more relevant report for the actual problem I am
seeing in due time.