Re: Issue difficulty tags (was: Manipulating instrument names and staff

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Issue difficulty tags (was: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 22:29:47 +0000

On 11/7/21, 12:46 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Kieren MacMillan"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+carl.d.sorensen+digest=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    Obvious “low-hanging fruit” [at least from the perspective of motivation]:
I want — nay, need! — the part combiner to Do The Right Thing™: effectively
unlimited voice inputs, no problem with quotes and lyrics, etc. etc. etc.

    > and any sort of mentor can tell you
    > if it sounds feasible for a beginner.

As far as I can see, this is desirable, but certainly not low-hanging fruit.
In fact, I think that defining the Right Thing is an extremely difficult task,
let alone implementing it.

If you have two voices to combine, there are three possible choices:  Voice 1,
Voice 2, or combined.

If you go to three voices, you now have 7 choices: Voice 1, Voice 2, Voice 3,
Voice 1+2, Voice 2+3, Voice 1+3, Voice 1+2+3.

If you go three voices, you have 14 choices: Voices 1, 2, 3, 4, 1+2, 1+3, 1+4
2+3, 2+4, 3+4, 1+2+3, 1+3+4, 2+3+4, 1+2+3+4.  And then you have combinations of
these: 1, 2, 3+4; 1, 2+3, 4; etc.

I think this sounds like an easy problem, but once I looked into it, I decided
there was nothing easy about it.

If you could come up with a an algorithm that would allow me to Do The Right
Thing given unlimited voice inputs, then I imagine it's implementable.  But I
think coming up with the algorithm is very challenging.

Thanks,

Carl