Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 23:31:46 +0100

Am So., 7. Nov. 2021 um 22:30 Uhr schrieb Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>:

> Le 07/11/2021 à 21:59, Kieren MacMillan a écrit :
> > Hi Jonas,
> >
> >> "Defect" is for problems within the "core program",
> >> which means either C++ or Scheme. I would argue that those two are not
> >> really separable in most cases
> > Does that mean for someone like me — with a fighting chance of Scheme-ing,
> > but very little chance of ever C++-ing — there are very few
> > [non-documentation] issues I can likely fix?
>

> A blatant counter-example is in the person
> of Harm.

Indeed :)
I don't know C++, I don't know python. At the time I discovered
LilyPond I didn't know scheme.

While using LilyPond I felt the wish to get some things from LilyPond,
which were not there - and learned scheme.
Today there are several of my patches in the source:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/log/?qt=author&q=Thomas+Morley
Ofcourse the range of those patches is very wide: from correcting a
typo somewhere up to implementing new grobs.

May I give you some advice?
Start slowly, maybe with a markup-command you would like to have,
don't look at the partcombiner for now.
At least I'm always scared away looking there.
Make yourself famliar with using the repository, gitLab and the like.

And don't run against walls for more than a day ;)
Ask!

Best,
  Harm