Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 18:13:27 +0100

Le 08/11/2021 à 21:13, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development a écrit :
Am Sonntag, dem 07.11.2021 um 15:59 -0500 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Jonas,

"Defect" is for problems within the "core program",
which means either C++ or Scheme. I would argue that those two are not
really separable in most cases
Does that mean for someone like me — with a fighting chance of Scheme-ing, but
very little chance of ever C++-ing — there are very few [non-documentation]
issues I can likely fix?
Not necessarily, let me elaborate what I had in mind when I wrote the
above; for the record, I'm referring to issues as reports from users
saying that something crashes / broke / isn't working as expected.
For those issues, I think a fair amount will actually require C++
knowledge; if not for fixing, then at least for understanding how many
of the internals are working and how Scheme fits in. This is not to say
that there are none that are entirely solvable in Scheme, but that it
will be hard to stamp them as such without going 80% of the way to
solve them.

The story may be a bit different for new features where it's about
adding new code.

My 2 cents, others might disagree.

I agree. I would add that

1. It's hard to see if a random issue taken out of
   the 1000 will require C++ or not, but it's not hard
   to find a few in all that meeting this criterion;
2. Tracker issues are an aid for us, not an ultimate
   goal; there is a lot that you can do to improve
   Scheme and pure-LilyPond code (features, but also
   interfaces, quality, architecture, etc.);
3. I believe you are a bit quick in believing you
   will never, ever be able to write C++ code ;-)

Best,
Jean