Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 20:57:57 -0500

Hi Aaron,

> Do you mean for \note-denom to be able to support both standard fraction
> (4/4) as well as the number-duration (3 2.)?

To my mind, the goal, ultimately, is for the user to do the least work possible
to (e.g.) enable note-denominator time signatures on a pre-existing score,
which might already include \time calls of both types, as well as
\compoundMeter calls, etc. That’s why I was initially hoping the solution might
be as simple as adding (and then coding the proper handling of) a new #'style
parameter to TimeSignature.

The the optimal solution would not affect the behaviour of \time. Currently

  \time 3/4

and

  \time #'(3 . 4)

both work. I was initially hoping that something along the lines of

   \tweak style #'note-denom \time 3/4

and

   \tweak style #'note-denom \time #'(3 . 4)

could both be made to work “transparently”… I gather from earlier responses
that it can’t. Now you raise the idea of a helper function, so I again (perhaps
naïvely) hope that

    \time \note-denom 3/4

and

    \time \note-denom #'(3 . 4)

could both work. Obviously this would require a find-and-replace on scores —
rather than the much simpler “stylesheet” idea of globally changing the
TimeSignature.style setting — but I still feel it would be better in the long
term than having a whole new function.

Follow-up question: Is there any reason it can’t be a prefixed helper function?
i.e.

   \note-denom \time #'(3 . 4)

which takes the time-signature-music as its input, and outputs adjusted
time-signature music? This might be better in that it wouldn’t mess with the
space between \time and its parameters (which, as you probably recall, include
an optional beat-structure).

> P.S.  I have to head off to a rehearsal now, so I'll look at this when I get
> back.

Thanks!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)