Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:37:15 -0800

On 2021-11-13 11:50 am, Carl Sorensen wrote:
I'm not sure it is worth the work to get semantically correct, but
semantically, \time 4/4 should not be a fraction of two integers; it
should be a pair of a count and a duration.

Currently, the lexer consumes the number/number pattern as the token FRACTION. And FRACTION gets used in a few places within the parser proper. (Duration scaling is one example.) Perhaps the lexer is too greedy and should not attempt to tokenize the fraction. Deferring the work to the parser could enable more generalized fraction-like constructs such as number/duration, but I am unsure the cost.

David, do you know any reasons why FRACTION is a token and not a parser rule?

-- Aaron Hill