Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 13:00:20 -0500

Hi Aaron,

On 2021-11-13 7:15 am, Aaron Hill wrote:
> Continuing my trend for hastily written/researched code, consider the
> attached.

Amazing! Thanks for the assist.

> There is almost certainly an easier way of doing things, and who knows what I
> have broken in the process.

I’ll look through the code and see what I can figure out.

> Cosmetically, I do not like the alignment in some in the fractions. I believe
> the dot should have no effect on the horizontal alignment of the note head
> with the number

Agreed — I’ll work on that.

> I suspect \markup \score might not be the best tool for the job in the long
> run

That’s my intuition as well.

> though it certainly allows for very permissive ly:music? as a denominator. (I
> should test with \tuplets...)

I tested with ~ and _~ and a few other things, and it Does The Right Thing™,
which is encouraging. If \markup \score *does* get replaced with something, I
certainly hope that new something doesn’t significantly restrict the input
possibilities.

> P.S. Kieren: I apologize if my naming things "kieren" in the code offends.
> Hopefully, you would consider it an honor for the feature to carry your name,
> as you are certainly the strong voice for its inclusion.

Not offended at all — quite the opposite! And I would be honoured to have this
feature carry my name, with the one exception that I have Big Plans™ for future
contributions, and wouldn’t want to blow my naming rights on this “outlier
application” [ as someone called it ;) ].

Onward and upward!
Kieren.