Re: MIDI title?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: MIDI title?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 21:14:03 +0000

On 11/19/21, 1:31 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
dak@gnu.org> wrote:

    Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> writes:

    > On 2021-11-19 11:28 am, David Kastrup wrote:
    >> What are other people's feelings here?  Should we allow an explicit
    >> specification of the title as "" to override such a fallback?
    >
    > Could it work to add a midiTitle property/field to allow users more
    > control?

    Already there.  It's "midititle" though I think.

    > The default behavior when midiTitle is not specified could still be to
    > inherit the \header title

    Already done.

    > or generate one based on the file name when title is unset.  If a user
    > really wants no title in the MIDI, they would explicitly set midiTitle
    > to #f or "".  The idea here is that a zero-length string is
    > special-cased to result in no emitted title, which works around the
    > compatibility issue you described.

    I am not sure how common that issue is.  It's at least on the
    Solton/Ketron MS80 and MS40 but they are somewhat related.  But if it is
    not set at all, I think it reasonable to not send a title (likely
    needing a refactoring) or possibly use the filename (most convenient for
    me but not necessarily for others).

I think it's reasonable to use the filename, and if the title in the MIDI needs
to be empty, the user can set it so.

Carl