Re: ANN: Pygments support for LilyPond

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: ANN: Pygments support for LilyPond
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 08:35:01 +0000 (UTC)

> So the next step now would be adding syntax highlighting to the
> documentation.  I've managed a prototype for HTML fairly easily, and
> Info doesn't know about colors, so that's easy.

Good.  I'm all for colours :-)

> What about PDF, however?  Texinfo itself doesn't seem to have
> commands for changing colors.  The packages that I could find
> (color, xcolor, fancyvrb) were all for LaTeX, not plain TeX.  What
> do the Texinfo and TeX experts in the room (looking at Werner and
> David) think about the issue?  Is there a way to get highlighting in
> PDF without too much pain?  Is it even desirable from a stylistic
> point of view?

My point of view is that for printing, color is probably not the best
choice.  However, for viewing PDFs online (as probably most PDF users
do, including me), I would really like to have colour support in code
listings.

Looking into `texinfo.tex` I was surprised to see that PDF output
seems to already have generic colour support (using the not officially
documented TeX macro `@setcolor{r g b}`).  However, it would be
necessary to define a special version of the `@verbatim` environment
(similar to LaTeX's `minted` environment) that recognizes color
changes.  This is certainly doable and probably not too difficult, but
I currently have other things to do.  Maybe it's best to open an
issue.

    Werner