Re: [RFC] Moving to Guile 2.2 and away from GUB

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: [RFC] Moving to Guile 2.2 and away from GUB
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 19:51:09 +0100

Le 24/11/2021 à 22:41, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development a écrit :
This improves with compiled bytecode, as Jean replied, but this won't be included initially (I
forgot to mention this). We should definitely have it for the next
stable release, but I'm optimistic that this is possible.

In my opinion, while not a requirement for switching
to Guile 2, it would be really nicer (and wise to implement
before removing Guile 1 support entirely) to byte-compile
scm/*.scm in the build system with 'guild compile'. It
currently fails because we load the files by just
reading them without making them modules and the
compiler doesn't know about our macros at compilation
time. I haven't followed everything related to Guile 2,
is there prior discussion of this?

Best,
Jean