Re: LilyPond 2.23.6 released

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.23.6 released
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 08:39:17 +0100

Am Mittwoch, dem 09.02.2022 um 00:15 +0330 schrieb Omid Mo'menzadeh:
> Thanks for the amazing work.
> I get a bunch "Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories" warnings
> using Guile 2.2, that I don't get with Lilypond compiled with Guile 1.8.
> This might be a packaging issue, but since I'm using both on the same
> system, I thought I'd share.

Thanks for reporting. So to make sure I understand, you compile
LilyPond yourself and when using Guile 1.8 it works, but with Guile 2.2
it doesn't? Both are using the same version of Fontconfig? Would you
mind trying the provided binaries, to rule out that there's something
wrong with LilyPond itself and it's indeed related to packaging?

> The run-time is also heavily slower using
> Guile 2.2, with 13.37s for Guile 1.8 and 64.68s for Guile 2.2, which might
> partly be related to the warning I mentioned.

Some slowdown is expected because we don't have byte-compiled Scheme
files yet, but certainly not in that magnitude.

> I'm using NixOS unstable. I will attach my shell.nix file to help with
> reproduction if needed..

Sounds like I need to install yet another VM...

Jonas