Re: Blockers for Guile 2.2

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Blockers for Guile 2.2
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 01:04:19 +0100

On Sat, Feb 26, 2022 at 2:02 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
> > while we make work slower for folks that work on large
> > scores and can afford to side-install Guile 1.8. It also makes
> > development slower for ourselves. Yes, that means some of us will
> > develop on a different platform than many users. This has been the
> > case since we started supporting OSX and Windows.
>
> I slightly disagree, running on a different platform is not the same as
> running with a completely different set of dependencies. And we know
> Guile 2.2 is completely different from 1.8.

> > Everyone who is passionate about Guile 2.2 can develop against Guile 2.2.
>
> So to be clear here: You would release official binaries with Guile 2.2
> and rely on a subset of developers to fix the bugs while you make it
> clear that you don't want to do that? Why would anybody accept that
> job?

I never said I don't want to fix Guile 2.2 bugs, and you should know
as I spent lots and lots of time debugging #6218.  I also said I
support moving CI to 2.2, so any MR would pass against 2.2.

I am just asking to not drop 1.8 support.

Most of the work we do isn't actually about Guile anyway,

$ git log --since 2022/01/01 | grep ^commit|wc
    257     514   12336
$ git log  --grep=[Gg]uile --since 2022/01/01 | grep ^commit|wc
      7      14     336

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwenn@gmail.com - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen