Re: Should \partial accept music instead of duration?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Should \partial accept music instead of duration?
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 02:01:56 -0700

On 2022-03-20 1:13 am, Leo Correia de Verdier wrote:
Entirely replacing the actual syntax would not be desirable in my
opinion. Consider the case when it is used in a “global” part/variable
in an orchestral score that usually contains rehearsal marks, tempo,
key and time signature changes and such. As I understand it having
\partial to accept only music as argument would have to move to each
part, which would introduce unnecessary typing and disrupt the logic
of the structure. Sure it can be worked around, but I would see it as
a step backwards. Or have I misunderstood?

All of those things *are* music, as far as LilyPond is concerned. It is just that commands like \tempo have no duration, so the following is nonsensical since the music has zero length:

   \partial \tempo 4 = 90

Your "global" variable likely uses spacer rests which are providing the length information, so the change to \partial usage ultimately looks like this:

   \partial 4 s4   =>   \partial s4

This removes the otherwise redundant specification of the duration.

-- Aaron Hill