Re: Guile 3.0

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Guile 3.0
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 17:42:42 +0200

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

> Le 22/05/2022 à 17:04, David Kastrup a écrit :
>> [...]
>>> Also see
>>>
>>> guile$ git shortlog -ns --since="2 months ago"
>>>       2  Timothy Sample
>>>       1  Ludovic Courtès
>>>       1  Mikael Djurfeldt
>> Well, it's the stable release branch.
>

> What would be the development branch?
>
> $ git branch --show-current
> main
> $ git shortlog -ns v3.0.8..HEAD
>      6  Ludovic Courtès
>      2  Timothy Sample
>      1  Andy Wingo
>      1  Mikael Djurfeldt
>      1  Rob Browning
>      1  Sergei Trofimovich
>      1  Vijay Marupudi

I am not in control of Guile's development models or lack thereof.  I
simply reported the information on their website that distributors would
go by.

>> [...]
>> No, Guile is in trouble then.  I mean, it is in trouble now.  But if
>> distributors can easily do version-hopping on their own initiative and
>> end up with one version of Guile they are going to ship for their whole
>> distro, it would be good if that does not end up in making LilyPond
>> disappear.  That's all.
>>
>> What we _recommend_ and use ourselves is an entirely different matter.
>

> OK, but in that case, what is your request concretely?
> Current LilyPond master works with Guile 3.0.

That's essentially all.  I wasn't sure of that from the discussion and
from what I remembered from previous exchanges.

> Do you want to add it to the CI?

I am afraid that I am not tracking the development of Guile and the CI
resources of LilyPond well enough to venture any opinion that would be
more qualified than that of the current developers.