Re: Lilypond patch

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Lilypond patch
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 19:33:48 +0200

On 2022-05-23 11:09, Andrea lienbacher wrote:

Hello!
Iam a very new user of Lilypond (MacOS). Yesterday i made a new sheet. Suddenly after texting, there was the information “core dump”. Today i tried to see, whats going on. After that, my mac hangs up and react at nothing. So i had to delete Lilypond, bc nothing else worked. Can you explain me, whats going on or wich mistake I made?

Nice Greets
Andrea Lienbacher

I can answer, but not in German please :-) (My German is too
rusty for that.)

If you have a core dump, that normally means you encountered a
bug in LilyPond. Having such a crash is quite rare, so it seems
like bad luck if you hit one as a new user

Alternatively, you might have tried to process a huuuge score
to the point that your computer couldn't cope anymore. (That
would normally not happen before hundreds of pages, or large
nesting levels.)

So it would be great to know what you were doing. Do you still
have the file that triggered this error?

Also, were you able to compile other files before? And what
is the version of LilyPond you have? How did you install it?

Finally, how were you running LilyPond? It should not be
necessary to go as far as uninstalling it completely to stop
it in the event of a hang. If you're in a terminal, Ctrl-C
should do. In Frescobaldi, LilyPond > Abort engraving job.

Best,
Jean