Re: Guile 3.0

From: Wol
Subject: Re: Guile 3.0
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 22:00:11 +0100

On 23/05/2022 20:19, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Vendoring Guile seems totally impractical. The Guile compilation does
some sort of bootstrapping, which makes building it from scratch
glacially slow (like: O(1 hour)), so it would be impossible for day to
day development work.

Just an idea, if "current" Guile has issues - could you just vendor Guile in the stable release?

That way at least you're not committed to supporting old Guiles indefinitely, but you can create a temporary fork to get a working release out the door ...

(And I run gentoo, so if Guile takes an hour to build - well so be it. Whenever Rust, Firefo or Thunderbird update I'm looking at all day for an update to complete :-)

Cheers,
Wol