Re: Cross Voice Slurs

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Cross Voice Slurs
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 17:09:42 +0200

Hi,

Le 30/05/2022 à 16:50, Johannes Feulner a écrit :
I'd like to use cross voice slurs as in this example (note head color indicates voice):

I didn't receive an image … ?

I've found an old discussion from 7 years ago: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-03/msg00288.html

Has anyone worked on this problem since or are there any new ideas? I'd volunteer to implement this feature.

There was a GSoc project for that. It stalled.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2016-08/msg00093.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2016-05/msg00223.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-02/msg00074.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2016-07/msg00001.html

(You can find more in the archives.)

Honestly, this is a tricky design issue. This will be a deceptive
answer, but I don't want you to embark in work that is bound
to a dead end: I do not expect contributing this feature to
be possible for someone without prior experience with the
code. Instead, if you are interested in contributing, I
recommend starting with easier issues (possibly picking them
in the tracker) in order to gain familiarity with LilyPond's
internals first.

Best regards,
Jean

PS: if you're desperate about needing it in a score, remember
that you can always move the Slur_engraver to Staff level,
at the cost of having to use \= frequently because slurs events
from different voices won't be independent at all.