Re: Font problem, Xdvi, quite urgent.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Font problem, Xdvi, quite urgent.
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 07:53:01 +0200

> Hi Jan and all,
>
> now I typeset a couple LaTeX documents with dvips -Ppdf, and now I can't make
> any more Lilypond pdfs (if I do, I get no noteheads). I get the following
> messages:
>
> address@hidden:~/music/gospelchor > dvips -Ppdf charleston_alley.dvi
> This is dvips(k) 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
> ' TeX output 2001.10.14:2329' -> charleston_alley.ps
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode canonbjc --bdpi 8000 --mag 1+0/8000 --dpi
> 8000 feta16
> mktexpk: Mismatched mode canonbjc and resolution 8000; ignoring mode.
> mktexpk: Can't guess mode for 8000 dpi devices.
> mktexpk: Use a config file, or update me.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> dvips: Font feta16 not found, characters will be left blank.

Do you use the environment variable settings in
lilypond-1.x.xx/buildscripts/out/lilypond-profile
(installed in /etc/profile.d/ if you install the Lilypond RPM)?
I myself use the alternative described in
http://lilypond.org/wiki/?LilyPondFaqs to link the Lilypond
MF directory to the local texmf tree,
/usr/share/texmf.local/fonts/source/lilypond.

If you get it right, you should be able to run e.g.
lilypond myfile.ly
tex myfile.tex
xdvi myfile.dvi
dvips myfile.dvi

whereafter 'kpsewhich feta20.tfm' should return a path to
the location of the generated .tfm file
(/var/spool/texmf/tfm/lilypond/feta20.tfm on my machine),
same for feta20.600pk.

An alternative for dvips is to use the Type1 fonts and say
dvips -Ppdf -ulilypond.map
If you make PDF files, that's the preferred option, but of course
you should have a working font setup anyway.

> It seems like something was wrong with my fonts right from the start, and
> what I had up to now was sort of metastable. I reinstalled Lily, did
> clean-fonts.sh, to no avail. Might have something to do with the Xdvi problem
> (compiled with --enable-ps-gs), see below.

   /Mats