Re: Still: Drums track/notes

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Still: Drums track/notes
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:17:10 +0200

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Amelie Zapf wrote:
>
> > Hi Joerg,
> >
> > I frequently have to write drum parts. That works, except for the midi
> > playback. I define a macro:
> >
> > cr = {
> >     \property Voice.NoteHead \override #'style = #'cross
> > }
> >
> > and
> >
> > ncr = {
> >     \property Voice.NoteHead \revert #'style
> > }
> >
> > That gives me a very convenient way of switching between crossed and normal
> > heads. Crosses with circle are, AFAIK, not supported, but the normal crossed
> > half-note doesn't look bad.
> >

> Thank you all! I tested it and it works! But is there a solution
> for a chord with different note heads (the drummer plays
> the bass drum and a tom-tom simultaneously).
>
> I tried:
>
>   cr = {
>        \property Voice.NoteHead \set #'style = #'cross
>   }
>
>   tria = {
>        \property Voice.NoteHead \set #'style = #'triangle
>   }

>   <\cr d \tria f>
>
> but both notes are triangles :-(

You have to put them in different Thread contexts, see
input/regression/note-head-style.ly. Any two graphical
objects that appear in the same context will see the
same property settings.

> Furthermore: As I made an error in LilyPond installation
> procedure I incidentally  saw a 4rd symbol: It was
> simply a fat line. So I assume there is still a 4rd
> drum symbol hidden somewhere in LilyPond.(?)

What is a "4rd drum symbol"? Have you seen the example file
input/test/drums.ly? I think it provides an alternative answer
to your initial question.

   /Mats