new user....

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: new user....
Date: 29 Oct 2001 17:08:56 +0000

        I've just started using Lilypond, and have to say that I was
very impressed. I finally managed to work out how to get timidity
working on my machine. I'm finding the playback facility extremely
useful (I've spent most of my life playing guitars and drums, so my
reading of standard notation is not very good!).

        There are a few things that I can not quite work out though
and I would be grateful for any help.

        First the headers (title, composer and so on) don't seem
to appear on my scores. This occurs both with my own transcriptions,
and also with the samples. Am I missing something here?

        Secondly the MIDI output does not seem to understand or
respect repeat marks. It just plays the music through. This is not a
huge problem, but sounds a bit strange, especially when there are
alternative endings to a repeat.

        And finally I'm a bit confused by the \partial markup.
What precisely does the value afterwards represent? I've managed to
get this working largely by trial and error!

        Thanks in advance for any help, and of course for such
a great piece of software. I've been looking for a way of writing
score, ever since I took up mandolin, and realised that my own hand
written score was, well, illegible.

        Cheers

        Phil