Re: lyrics

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: lyrics
Date: 31 Oct 2001 23:08:00 -0500

    Maury> My foo.ly song [see my other post of this hour] actually has
    Maury> lyrics but I have found that getting the compiler to line up
    Maury> the lyrics with the melody and chords to be nearly
    Maury> impossible.

    Maury> I suppose I'd like to know if that's just so or if others do
    Maury> find that there are some "secrets."

I didn't find just a straight lyric to be difficult.  But I wasn't
writing it from scratch, I was using abc2ly, and I knew how to do it
in ABC.  One problem is that the examples, such as twinkle.ly, were
written a long time ago, and aren't done the way anyone would do them
now.

So here's _Row, row, row your boat_ the way abc2ly does it.

    Maury> Also, I simply don't get from the docs how to line up lyrics
    Maury> with sections of the song which are repeated.

This is a little arcane, and I got a lot of help from this list.
Here's an example that's probably more complicated than you want to
do, where the A section repeats with different lyrics in the first
verse but with the same lyrics in the second verse, and the B section
repeats with the same lyrics in both verses.  An added complication is
that the two "bars" at the beginning don't have lyrics at all, so the
verse numbers should be at the first real bar:

Hope this helps.  Let us know if you have more questions.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139