Re: showing a half note and a eighth note as _one_ note?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: showing a half note and a eighth note as _one_ note?
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 07:40:38 -0500

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Martin Brodbeck <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > (sorry for my bad english)
> > Is it possible, to show a note as a half note with stem down _and_ a
> > eighth-note-stem up? I need this for sheets for classical guitar.
>
> LilyPond doesn't (yet) do this, because it is considered bad
> practice.

The considerers are pianists, and their vote should not count in this
instance.  With piano music, one should have two noteheads in such a
case.  With a stringed instrument, there should only be two noteheads if
the same note is actually being played on two different strings.  The
best solution is to apply the present practice which your authorities
consider correct only to keyboard scores and supply sets and overrides
in both cases.

An augmentation dot is always applied to the larger time value if they
are different.  Otherwise, a tie or rest is best used depending on how
the passage is to be played.

Very little guitar music relative to piano music was published after the
1880's.  You ought not to consider that all best practices originate
from that time.  Before then, only the most expensive music was piano
scores, because only rich people had pianos.  Of course it looked
better.  You are being very unfair, and your authorities are very
careless in their thinking.

>  It shouldn't be hard to implement things like
> #merge-diffently-flagged, #merge-white-black,
> alongside the alreay supported #merge-differently-dotted in
> collision.cc.

Mats gave a way of doing it with a transparent notehead.  Can that still
be done?

Also, is it possible to shift a single augmentation dot up or down a
space when it becomes necessary?

||/ Peace, understanding, health and happiness to all beings! ||
|-K ars sine scientia nihil                address@hidden ||
||\ David Raleigh Arnold \\   Falls Church, Virginia \\   USA ||