Re: Descrescendo difficulty

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Descrescendo difficulty
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:08:20 +0100

>         \context Voice = VA { \stemDown
>           <gis2 e b> <fis8 dis b^\accent> r b a
>           <gis2 b,> <fis cis>
>           }
>
> Compiles fine.  I want a decrescendo to start on the first chord,
> finish on the second chord, but anywhere I put it I seem to get a
> parse error.

Try
          \context Voice = VA { \stemDown
            <gis2 \> e b> < \! fis8 dis b^\accent> r b a
            <gis2 b,> <fis cis>
          }

The simple principle is to place the \> after the note where
the decrescendo should start and the \! before the finishing
note. At least in the reference manual, this is explained in
a reasonably concise way. For a chord, you could use any of
the simulaneous notes, so another possible version of your
example is

          \context Voice = VA { \stemDown
            <gis2 e b\> > < fis8 \! dis b^\accent> r b a
            <gis2 b,> <fis cis>
          }

  /Mats