Re: Problem with running lilypond

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Problem with running lilypond
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:56:51 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Hello,
> I have a problem with testing lilypond for the first time.  My operation
> system is Windows 98SE.  When testing ly2dvi on the file foo.ly, I am getting
> the error message:
> ly2dvi:error: filename should not contain spaces: '/usr/bin/* *
> *********/foo' (where the '*s' are letters spelling out the registration name
> on my computer).  As the registration name on my computer seems to produce a
> default folder of the same name, I don't know how to overcome this problem.
> I would be grateful for any ideas or solutions.

Best is to create a new home directory.  Start the cygwin or lilypond
shell, and do:

    $ mkdir -p /home/dylan

Then, edit the file

    /etc/passwd   (windows name: c:\cygwin\etc\passwd)

using vim or wordpad, and change the `/usr/bin/* ************/foo' to
`/home/dylan'.

When you start the lilypond shell again, all should be fine.  If it's
still not ok, you can try:

    $ HOME=/home/dylan
    $ cd

Greetings,
Jan.

PS:
It's also custom not to post HTML messages to a mailing lists, such as
this one.  If you are using Microsoft Outlook (Express), you can send
normal plain text messages by clicking through the menus
Tools/Options/Send/Mail Sending Format/Plain Text, with options:

    Set Message format as MIME, set "Encode text using:" to None.
    Set Automatically wrap text at 70, and > is used to indent
    original text.

See also: http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/listadmins/plaintext.html