Re: glissando

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: glissando
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 20:27:51 +0200

> - switch off page numbering ( as long as its one page long :) )

ly2dvi -s pagenumber=no brazille.ly

> - how do I tell that only 2nd volta should be played within D.C. al Fine ?

You already do! I notice that the Fine mark is missing in your
PDF file but here it prints nicely, both with Lilypond 1.4.12 and
1.5.55 (sorry, haven't upgraded to 1.4.13 yet).

> - 35th measure - as you can see -> how do i put the sign of 2nd volta on
> the same level as 1st ?
>     ( there's enough space ... )

This is a well-known problem in Lilypond. You can fix it by

  \property Score.VoltaBracket \override #'minimum-space = #6

> - 22., 30., 24.->25. measures - glissando ( again :) ) - it's kind of
> invisible there ( is there way to improve that ) -> should i write above
> in italic sign like "gliss." ? ( as you can see I'm not much experienced
> in music notation at all :) )

As you say, the line is too short to be visible. I don't really
have any good answer.

> - 21., 29. measures - how do i make those arpeggios also on the bass note ?

Set
  \property Score.connectArpeggios = ##t
and add an \arpeggio also after the d2 in the lower voice.

> - 15. measure - I can't get on with making slur on the grace at the
> beginning ( U - style between a''32 and a''16 )

This is one of the major limitations in the stable Lilypond 1.4.x
series. This is solved in the development versions, 1.5.x.
However, as a workaround, you could add a spacing note at the
end of the grace notes: \grace{ a32 ( b ) s} a16

> - 1st measure ... is it possible to align it, and the whole row to left
> side ?

Certainly, read about the 'indent' paper variable in the
tutorial documentation.

> - finally 4., 5., 8., 9., 12., 13., 17. - why the note's ?leg? is like
> .. aside ? i'd like to have it same way as in the beginning of 20th
> measure ...

??? Are you talking about the stem? I don't understand the question.

You could save lots of typing by writing the two voices separately:

melody = \context Voice = VA \notes {
        \time 4/4
        \clef violin
        \key d \major
        \relative c'' {
                \stemUp r2 r8 d'8 [d, fis]

        \repeat volta 2 {
          cis'4 d,8 fis4 [b8 a g] ...
}

bass= \context Voice = VB \notes \relative c {
  s1 |
  \repeat volta 2 {d1 |
    e |
    a |