Re: lilypond drum problem(?)

From: Joerg Anders
Subject: Re: lilypond drum problem(?)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 16:17:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Rune Zedeler wrote:

> the a will be typeset in thread foo, but the b won't.
> I cannot see an easy solution for your problem, but a hack would be to
> translate accidentals into notehead types. This should be okay as
> accidentals are not needed when typesetting drums.
> What I mean is that I could fairly easy create a scheme function
> allowing you to say i.e. "ceses" to get a triangle-c, "ces" to get a
> diamond c, "c" to get a default c, "cis" to get a crossed c and "cisis"
> to get a xcircled c.
> Would that be sufficient for you?

Hmm! I don't know ? What about "f"? -- "feses? What if I implement - say - 10
different note heads ?

To shorten this: LilyPond is a very good typsetter for classical music.
And it can deal with simple (no chords) drum staffs.

In contrast to all other free musical typsetters it has
musical knowlegde. I would say: A hack only because of
this case is no good idea. Perhaps if you'll later
think more about jazz/pop/... you should implement
a really sophisticated drum-chord-solution. And then I'll incorporate
this into LilyPond export. So long the user has to live with
some exportation restrictions.

--------------------------

I think 2 other things are more important:

1.) It should be possible to connect 2 of 3 notes of a chord:

        <c~ e g~>  <c e g>

2.) And from version-?.?.? on in staff context is no tie at all:

        StaffA = \notes\relative c' {
                  \clef violin
                   <c2  e g > ~ <c e g >
        }